Friday, January 30, 2015

To Blog or Not To Blog

I am staring at this lovely blank screen, debating what to write.... this feels familiar. It is amazing how in some very important ways blogging is very different from writing books. With books, one page leads into the next and the next and so on and so forth and next thing I know four hours and 50 pages have passed.

I will have tv or music playing in the background and have no clue what I missed (Seriously, made the mistake of starting Downton Abbey this weekend while writing. Realized I was on season one episode six and didn't even know who any of the characters were, and only got briefly excited when I recognized Rose Leslie's voice and immediately thought 'You know nothin' Jon Snow!')


But blogging is different. Blogging is short story-telling.... actually, shorter... man. And although I have seen so many bloggers pull things together in a neat and orderly fashion doing  Flash Fiction Friday, Teaser Tuesdays and the like, I just can't seem to pull that together. One, I have already discovered that I cannot do a book review a week, or offer teasers once a week, or get guest posts from authors once a week, or any of the other fun blog ideas I have come up with and wanted to implement.  Part of it is that I don't have all the time to get those things set up, but I think the bigger problem is that this doesn't match my style of writing.

I generally have an idea of my story's main points, but let the story flow and go. I am not such a structured writer as to have every point planned and just stitch it together with words. Doing that with the blog doesn't seem to work for me either.

So I will continue to randomly write my weird and special thoughts as they come. Hopefully most will be entertaining. If there are any random ideas you would like to see me write about, feel free to share in the comments below.

Until next time,

Keep Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment