Monday, November 23, 2015

How to Color Outside the Lines

Hello my Lovelies,

I have been struggling with some things lately, and (as I am so apt to do) I have been analyzing why. We are all on this search for happiness, and it seems like I am not the only one having a hard time with the elusive subject.

Now, one of the things I know is a struggle for me, is the saying "You don't find happiness, happiness is a perspective with which you look at life." Kind of like Polyanna's Glad Game. And I used to be more like that, and am working on getting back to that. It helps to a certain extent.

But one thing I have discovered is that the dreams and goals I have set for myself aren't happening the way I wanted. I can play the Glad Game all I want, but it doesn't help me figure out why my marketing isn't working.

In that vein, I have been looking at what I am doing wrong and trying to fix that. After all, I don't have a lot of money to throw at marketing. I can't be glad that I got a few sales out of $100 of marketing and call it good.

One of the things I keep seeing in marketing is to "think outside the box." but I don't really know what that means. (Because obviously, it means doing something different, but what might that be?)

 I've been doing all the other marketing tips, blogging, writing, sales, promotions, advertising, etc. I have tried to think outside the box when doing these things so it is not just "Read my book" I have tried to use attention grabbing lines, etc.

But as a child, I liked to color inside the lines. I found intense comfort in it. I succeeded in school because I knew what was expected. When I did what was expected, I got XYZ results. At all my jobs in life, I succeeded by coloring inside the lines. Knowing what was expected, following the path, and getting the right results.



Sales and marketing don't work that way. One of the most frustrating parts of working at my last job is that I did everything that I was told, but still wasn't seeing results. No one could tell me why. Everyone said I was one of the best employees. Everyone said my pitch was great. But the results were not what I wanted. I was miserable because of that.

Same with my book marketing. I am following all the rules, but not seeing results. I need to push outside my comfort zone. I need to start thinking outside the box. I need to start coloring outside the lines. That is probably the scariest thing in the world for me. It is something I have always wanted to do, but the fear of not knowing how is overwhelming. The security of the lines is so tempting.

How do you color outside the lines in your own life? Any tips to help me get going?


Also, quick announcement. I know that doing a Black Friday Sale is hardly coloring outside the lines, but as I have never done one before, it sort of is for me ;)

I will be having great deals on my books on Black Friday, so keep your eyes peeled for the promotions!


Have a fabulous Monday and until next time,

Keep Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment